Friday, July 27, 2007

Magnificient Magali Meagher


Magali Meagher has been playing in bands for most of her life, adding her voice to numerous projects in both Guelph and Toronto. Captivated by Magali's mournful songs, the author wrote the part of Carlyn with Meagher in mind to play the role. Since the first Toronto production of the show, Magali has released recordings, toured North America and worked for Canada's leading breast cancer charity. Though she has many talents, it is her unique and powerful voice that sets her apart amongst the hinterland who's who (photo by Lee Towndrow.)

The Daily Rat: How did you get involved with The Rat King?

Magali Meagher:
Maggie and I were in a sinking ship and before I jumped she threw me a line, opened her journal, showed me her charmed pen and ink drawings and told me the story of the king of the rats. With a little palavering, she asked that I play Carlyn Canon. I could nay say nay.

Rat: What is your role in the show?


Magali: I play Carlyn who is "the girl" and "the daughter" and "the sister" who are the same person.

Rat: What other creative and/or political projects have you been involved with?


Magali: I am working on participation, patience, posture, photoshop and the phonemes - all the p-words! The last of which is the name of my band. We just released our first full length CD "There's something we've been meaning to do"! We are playing some shows in Southern Ontario in September and I will be touring in Europe in the Fall with Bob Wiseman. Check it out at www.thephonemes.com or myspace.com/thephonemes

I am also sailor in the good ship HANK which is the musical project of Jerry Singer, my father in the play and sometimes I play in John Tielli's band, Metal Kites.

As a member of the Blocks Recording Club worker co-op, I am a part of the promo committee. I guess this falls under "participation" in my list of p-words. Blocks is really innovative as it's one of the only cooperative record labels owned by its artists. The tasks involved in making the label run are done my the members so that everyone benefits. Who thought this sh*t up?!


Rat: Of the themes in The Rat King, which do you feel a strong connection to?


Magali: Hope.

No comments: